Enlarged Pores Skin Care
If you’re one to get acne breakouts or possess an oily skin type, you may also be suffering from enlarged pores.
Enlarged pores are visible depressions in the facial skin surface. These one or more openings contain ducts which carry sweat and oil from the sebaceous glands. This is what hydrates the skin, and provides a protective barrier against irritants and infection.
Enlarged pores can happen to anyone, no matter their age, whether you’re a man or woman, and in all ethnic groups. Pores will often appear larger as you age.
Factors that may lead to enlarged pores include:
- Increased sebum production
- Hair follicle size
- Use of comedogenic products
- Loss of skin elasticity with age
- Sun damage from UV rays.
- Comedogenic makeup
Acne prone skin is often associated with enlarged pores. This is when open comedones (blackheads) can be seen within an enlarged pore. Inflammatory acne can lead to enlarged pores through weakening sebaceous gland and hair follicle openings, making them more prone to blockage.
Can you make enlarged pores disappear
While we can’t make pores disappear entirely, Boniik has a plethora of skin care for large pores options, non-comedogenic makeup, moisturisers and other skin care brands that can actively shrink the size of your pores to make the skin’s barrier appear smoother and brighter.
When the pores are filled with excess oil and cellular debris, this can ‘stretch’ the pore opening, making them appear larger. The biggest benefit of Boniik’s pore-minimising products is that they actively shrink the pores and brighten the complexion, whilst keeping pores cleared of future sebum blockages and acne breakouts.
Enlarged pores that are cleared of blackheads, whiteheads and blockages will look less obvious as pores return, and shrink back to their normal size. While shrinking pores are temporary, they can be maintained with a regular skin care routine at your back.
While you can’t make your enlarged pores disappear completely, you can minimise their appearance with these key ingredients which are found in all of our enlarged pore products. They include:
- Matcha: The natural tannins in green tea act as a natural astringent that gently dissolves impurities and excess oil embedded in the pores, and tightens them. Matcha can also regulate the skin’s overactive sebum production by the glands in each pore, making it a much more effective solution than harsh conventional chemicals.
- AHA: AHA stands for alpha hydroxy acid. AHAs are water-soluble acids made from sugary fruits that gently peel away the surface of your skin so that new, evenly pigmented and plump skin cells can generate and take their place.
- BHA: BHA stands for beta hydroxy acid. BHAs are oil-soluble, unlike AHAs, penetrate deep within the pores to disintegrate impurities and dry out sebum to manage oily skin types.
- Rose extract: Regularly toning your skin with rose extract prevents the formation of future acne breakouts caused by clogged pores. Rose water is less drying on your skin compared to chemically-based or alcohol-based skin cleansers, toners and creams.
Easy Skin Care For Large Pores
Wash your face daily - make a habit of washing your face every day and night. Having a consistent washing routine removes dirt, oil and other impurities that lead to clogged pores.
Moisturise - One of the common mistakes people make when they possess enlarged pores is skipping out on moisturising. Moisturising with a lightweight, non-comedogenic cream can actually help manage your overactive sebum production, and help your natural sebum penetrate deeper in the skin layers. This reduces the appearance of oiliness, but conditions and smoothes the skin. Without it, your facial skin can produce more oil and lead to more clogged and enlarged pores.
Stay hydrated - Good, old-fashioned water can do wonders to your pores and overall skin health. Having a glass of water helps by:
- hydrating your skin internally
- removes toxins from your pores
- Improves your overall complexion
- brightens dull looking skin
Cleanse your skin with the right product - Gentle toners that are free of harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances should be your new go-to for your skin type. If you have partially oily skin, a gel-based cleanser infused with salicylic acid should break down impurities within the pores without drying the skin out.