DULLNESS / LACK OF RADIANCE
Skincare for Dull Skin
Skin looking a little flat or lacking some of its usual lustre? Then you might be suffering from the case of dull skin. As with dry-looking skin or oily complexions, you might be wondering what's causing the skin condition and how you can get it back to a vibrant, healthy glow.
Dull skin can occur on both men and women of any ethnicity. The following skin type is commonly characterised as skin lacking in radiance, has an uneven skin tone or texture, or causes light to reflect less evenly than healthy skin, reflecting light more evenly. While there is a wide range of factors that contribute to the skin condition, the leading causes can include:
- Dehydration: When skin lacks water, it often appears dry and dull. The outer layer of skin should contain 10% to 15% water. When this level drops, skin can become dehydrated, contributing to a dull complexion and even cause fine lines to appear more visible.
- UV Damage: While a tan may give the skin a healthy, glowing appearance for a day or two, sun damage quickly causes the skin cells to look dull, depleted and rough.
- Pollution: Skin comes into contact with pollution every day. External aggressors cause free radical damage, contributing to dull skin signs such as wrinkles, lack of vibrancy and discolouration.
- Age: As you grow older, the skin becomes thinner and produces less sebum. Combine this with sun damage over the years; you get an uneven skin tone and all forms of hyperpigmentation, causing the light on your skin to reflect less effectively.
- Environment: Unpredictable weather and the changing seasons can do a number on the healthiness of your skin. Even for a few hours, exposure to low humidity can affect the skin's natural moisture balance and lead to an uneven, dull-looking complexion.
Luckily, with a strict daily regimen with the right dull skin treatments, your skin can easily be managed like any other skin concern. When it comes to finding the best skincare brands and makeup for this skin type, BONIIK has you covered to ensure your complexion is left glowing and healthy.
The best dull skin treatment products
When it comes to treating dull skin, it's easy to revive a dull, tired complexion with BONIIK. From refreshing skin brighteners infused with floral extracts, skin freshening sprays and mists, lightweight serums and emulsions that target dark spots to collagen replenishing face masks, BONIIK has your skincare for dull skin in one convenient place. All you have to do is scroll and add to cart.
Explore our best dull skin treatments to get your complexion back to its youthful glow:
Pick a mild, balancing skin cleanser: Pick out a gentle, pH balancing cleanser. As your natural skin's pH levels lie between 4.7-5.7, it's ideal not to pick anything too astringent. This could further decrease your complexion's natural moisture levels, leave it looking and feeling drier than usual.
Opt for a heavy moisturiser or balm: With dull skin comes intense dryness and cracking. Opt for a heavy-based cream enriched with amino acids, vitamins and peptides. Massaging this product into the skin will naturally lock moisture back into the skin cells and give them the replenishing ingredients they need to aid production. Moisturise as soon as you're out of the shower and before you hit the bed.
Choose citric acid: Lemon is enriched with Vitamin C and ascorbic acid. These are antioxidising and anti-pigmentary properties that lighten dark spots and hyperpigmentation. As a result, it makes a fantastic ingredient to achieve radiant skin and slow down melanin production to prevent the skin from darkening.
Make a date with a face mask: Revitalising your skin with a weekly face mask is another dull skin treatment to get your complexion glowing. The best masks that brighten the skin should feature critical ingredients such as antioxidants, hyaluronic acid, shea button and other natural skin-brightening ingredients.
Any questions about BONIIK's skincare for dull skin or don't have a product that you need? Don't hesitate to reach out to our team, and we'll be happy to help.