Skin Care for Oily Skin
Oily skin is as exactly as it sounds - when your skin is left feeling and looking like there’s a constant sheen on your skin every hour of the day.
This skin type unfortunately is common among women and men and tends to run in families, meaning that runs in your DNA. If one or both of your parents have oily skin, then it’s most likely that you’ll inherit overactive sebaceous glands too.
Oily skin occurs when the sebaceous glands in the skin produce too much sebum. Sebum is a waxy, oily substance that protects the skin from bacteria, dead skin cells and dirt on the skin’s surface and hydrates the skin.
While sebum is vital in keeping the skin healthy, too much sebum leads to an oily sheen on the skin’s surface, and other skin concerns such as clogged pores, white and blackheads and acne breakouts. The most obvious signs of oily skin include:
- a shiny or greasy appearance
- very large or obvious pores on the skin
- skin that looks thick or rough
- occasional or persistent pimples
- clogged pores and blackheads
People who possess oily skin often have trouble finding a makeup or foundation that suits their skin as the makeup can mix with the sebum, giving it a runny consistency. Hormone changes and high-stress levels can also increase the production of sebum in the body.
Managing such a skin type requires a person making regular skin care a habit.
Luckily, Boniik isn’t short of skin care for oily skin- our soothing products can reduce and manage the symptoms of oily skin without the use of prescription strength medication.
The Best Products for Oily Skin
Whether you possess dry skin, easily irritated skin or acne-prone skin, our skin care experts at Boniik can point you in the right direction to the best brands for oily complexions.
If you’re someone with oily skin, it’s essential to look for skin care products that gently remove excess oil and impurities from the skin without over-drying the pores. Products should be non-comedogenic (doesn’t clog the pores and traps sebum), is oil-free and have active ingredients that regulate your oil glands function and soothe them.
While tempting, people with oily skin should avoid over washing the skin as this can strip away the skin’s natural hydrating properties, and leave it more vulnerable to breakouts. We suggest washing your face with a gentle impurity-freeing cleanser every day and night.
Lighter formulated cleansers, moisturisers and gels that gently dissolve away impurities, dirt and dead skin deep within the pores. The following oily skin care products effectively cleanse the skin surface without stripping away the skin’s essential oils.
Avoid heavy creams and ointments to hydrate the skin, as well as harsh exfoliating scrubs. The following products are known for aggravating oily skin types.
Over-cleansing and scrubbing too harshly can also lead to an increased sebum production. Moisturising daily while sounding counter-intuitive for people with oily skin, is also essential to prevent irritation.
While shopping for Boniik’s best products for oily skin keep on the lookout for the following ingredients:
- Hyaluronic Acid: Naturally hydrates the skin without making the skin’s surface appear greasy.
- Retinol: Accelerates the skin’s natural cell production, leading to brighter, healthier looking skin.
- Salicylic Acid: This anti-inflammatory breaks down excess oil, dead skin cells and attacks troublesome breakouts at the source.
- Niacinamide: Also known as Vitamin B3, this multi-tasking skin care ingredient hydrates and increases the elasticity of the skin and regulates excess oil production.
- Grapeseed oil: This natural ingredient is packed with healthy fatty acids that reduce inflammation caused by acne, and clear clogged pores.
*Boniik's skin care for oily skin is dermatologist-approved.